In 1957, Rev. Carl and Betty Glick, home missionaries with the General Council of the Assemblies of God, established Kenai First Assembly. Rev. Glick purchased a small log cabin on Cook Street in what is now known as “Old Town” Kenai.
A ministry to the local residents was begun and the church grew and improvements to the building were made, most notably, a basement foundation for the log structure that served both as the church and a home for the Glick Family.
Tragedy struck in 1960 when Pastor Glick vanished without a trace while flying his own personal aircraft from Anchorage to Kenai. Betty, his wife, a credentialed minister in her own right, pastored the church for another 2 years.
In 1964, Rev. Wes Hanson and his family arrived and pastored Kenai First Assembly of God for the next 4 years. It was Rev. Hanson’s vision and faith that led to the purchase of our present location at 209 Princess Street, which at that time was, “way out of town”.
Construction began in 1969 and the building was largely completed in 1971 while Rev. Glen and Dorothy Johnson were pastors. In March 1985, the name of the church was changed to New Life Assembly of God.
The present pastors, Stephen and JoLynn Brown arrived in October of 1988. Due to the growth of the congregation, a 10,500 sq. ft. building addition project was begun in 1995 and completed and dedicated in 1997. With continued growth, a second Sunday morning worship service was added September of 2011. In February of 2015 New Life was able to purchase an additional 4 acres of land adjacent to their present facility. Future expansion plans are currently being developed.